Hawaii: False Alarm
On January 13th, 2018 Hawaii faced an unfortunate nuclear missile alert that lasted an entire 38 minutes. It was a false alarm and a bunch of people shit their pants. Here are some FANTASTIC albums you could have listened to, in their entirety, during the 38 minutes of FALSE ALARM:
1. Revolver: The Beatles – as you think you’re about to die, let John Lennon sing you to your death with the ironic tune, “Tomorrow Never Knows” because lets face it, you may not live to know tomorrow.
2. Surfer Rosa: Pixies- Two of the greatest rock songs in history can be found on this album (“Where Is My Mind”, “Gigantic”). This band influenced Nirvana, and Nirvana might be where you’re headed.
3. Pinkerton: Weezer: A bunch of smart guys get together and make some more pop-rock music. This album is the follow-up to the Blue Album and kind of sounds a little sexy. It’s exactly the kind of sexy you need in this type of situation.
4. Nashville Skyline: Bob Dylan- The king of songwriters does it again with this gem from 1969. Again, I like the irony angle here, so try playing “Tell Me That It Isn’t True” on repeat as you fear for your life. Who knows, maybe it isn’t true and you can continue enjoying the island life.
5. Is This It: The Strokes- If you just want to have a stiff drink and smoke a few cigarettes as the world ends, let these New Yorkers take you there one song at a time. Again, more irony! “Is This It” starts the album that just may be the last album you listen to, so light up a cig and ask yourself, “is this it?”
6. What’s Going On: Marvin Gaye- Arguably one of the greatest albums of all-time and you can jam to “Save the Children” as you literally try and save your children from the impending nuclear explosion.
7. Ramones: Ramones- Similar to the Strokes in more ways than one, this iconic band kinda doesn’t give a shit. But may I suggest paying attention to the song “I Don’t Wanna Go Down To The Basement” as you and your screaming family are forced into your basement.
Hawaii, I’m sorry you had to go through this kind of crazy bullshit. However, at least now you’ll have a better idea of what great albums to listen to (in their entirety) if it were to happen again…for 38 FUCKING MINUTES!!!